Pita Cubano – [Swipe for more] Here’s my entry for Mission Foods’ campaign/contest! If you’ve seen the foodie-beloved movie by Jon Favreau, Chef, this is based on (the official recipe of) *that sandwich*. The Cubano is a pressed sandwich traditionally made with cuban bread (sort of like a hoagie roll but with lard); buttt the flat and even surfaces of Mission Pitas makes it a real good sub! If you savour the Pitas they actually have a very good yeasty flavour and so is a perfect complement for rich fillings.
Ingredients (for 4):
4 pc Mission Pita (I’ve tested with both Wholemeal and Plain and they both work!)
4-8 slices of gammon/virginia leg ham
12 slices of Swiss cheese (like Emmental) – that’s 3 slices each sandwich
4 medium gherkins (dill pickled cucumbers)
2-3 tbsp dijon mustard
4 tbsp butter, very soft or melted
500g pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat or skin
1/2 Orange, peeled
1 med-sized Lime, juiced
1 bunch cilantro (stems and leaves) + Half the volume of mint leaves
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne
1.5 tsp dried mexican oregano
0.5 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1-2 tbsp salt
3 tbsp light olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1. Hours before serving (sorry) take your pork shoulder and marinade it in Mojo Marinade (made by blending all the above ingredients together). Marinade at least 3 or up to 24 hours.
2. Remove pork from marinade but reserve the marinade. No need to wipe pork dry completely. Roast at 180C in middle rack for 2 hours. Baste pork with half of the reserved marinade midway, and turn it for even cooking.
3. Let pork cool completely before assembling.
4. Half the pita height-wise (microwaving for 10-20s before doing so helps greatly).
5. Slice gherkins into 1/8 strips, lightly toast your ham slices, prep your cheese (it’s 2×1.5 slices per sandwich), brush mustard on ham and one of the bread sides.
6. Refer to video for sequence.
7. Butter preheated cooking pan, place Pita Cubano, brush top with butter. Weigh down second preferably preheated (but its ok if its not very hot) flat pan. Flip, toast other side until golden and cheese is melty.